Thursday, January 16, 2014

Crime and Punishment -- Guyana Style

So in topsy-turvy Land, the Police have been literally beating confessions out of those pulled in for Crimes. There have been a couple of appalling actions carried out involving genitals being damaged, while the rate of burglary and personal attacks appears to be increasing as the youths' chances of employment decreases - a perfect storm situation brewing.  Neighbouring Venezuela looks to be a bit further along than us.
While it is commendable that there are still people wanting to join the Force and I have met more than a few decent ones, I am sadden that on the whole, their crime detecting skills leave much so be desired  that violation of Human Rights seems standard practice. As Martin Niemoller said:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.


There is an understandable outcry about the Human Rights violation of the alleged criminal but seems to overshadow the Human Rights violation of the victim/s, as whatever the person who was suspected did or was alleged to have done gets swept away by the barbarity of the Police actions - the original victim/s are also swept aside.

It seems peculiar to here that focus is on violations by the 'authorities' like the leader of an Opposition Party, a lawyer, laying into the government for destroying a fence built by a big businessman on land needed to expand a roadway.  Guyanese are in the habit of considering the reserve of Land outside their properties 'theirs' and apparently some Law says after occupying the land for 25yrs-- it's yours-- that needs serious revision - my view is that Government should issue 'rent due' notices with interest for those people set on abusing common sense. I fail to understand how the Government coffers are empty as practically every second person is breaking some Law or the other -- those same people then wringing their hands that the place is being buried under rubbish -- both physical and mental-- and we are headed no-where as a country and emigrating (to where I wonder-- everywhere else is in their own mess!)

If we as a Country want to continue to be a sovereign state then as the editorial in SN points out, we need to adopt a long-term strategy on a consensal basis and stick to it. I see now the wisdom behind the National Development Strategy conceived by Cheddi Jagan and wonder why Jagdeo shelved it when he came to power.

No comments:

Post a Comment