Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Book of Negroes by Laurence Hill

After clicking about several times on Amazon I finally figured out that in word-conscious USA the book was published as Someone Knows My Name!
I usually have a problem with men writing from a woman's perspective but I have to say Laurence Hill did a fine job - the character was very believable and it was a good way to illustrate the tragedy of Slavery from one person's perspective. I found the book very informative and I think the author did a good job in Parts 3 + 4 in showing how the people of African descent were used as pawns between the Colonialists in the US and Canada, and the British- hence the title of the Book- where those helping were recorded to escape further enslavement by the colonists who were driving out the British who renegated on their promises to the Slaves over and over!
I thought the description of the Middle passage quite good and liked that the author managed to show a variety of people of varying consciences involved in the different aspects of the Trade and gave voice to the commonly-held justification that the Whites were 'saving' the Africans from themselves!
Good and informative book.

No comments:

Post a Comment